Be Aware of Gum Care!
Taking care of your gums is a crucial part of your dental health as well as the overall health and care of your body. September marks the National Gum Care Month, and in honor of this, it is a good idea to educate yourself about the early stages of gum disease and update your knowledge on caring for your gums! It is never early to begin taking precautions on maintaining healthy gums and a healthy smile!
Gum Disease and the Early Signs:
Gum disease (also known as periodontitis) is a serious gum infection that damages gums and can destroy the jawbone. Without taking proper oral care, the early stages of gum disease may become present. Symptoms to look for include the following:
- Red or puffy gums/ tender to the touch
- Apparent blood when brushing your teeth
- Receding gums or gums that pull away from your teeth
- Bad breath caused by plaque buildup on the tongue
- Pain when chewing
- Sensitivity to hot and cold food
If you have any of these symptoms you should take the proper care and make an appointment at Sealy Dental right away. But, the good news is there are multiple preventative measures to ensure happy and healthy gums. Gingivitis is the earliest form of gum disease and is caused by the buildup of plaque on the teeth. For most patients, gingivitis and gum disease can be prevented by the following different ways:
- Establish a daily oral care routine
- See your dentists at Sealy Dental regularly
- Practice good Habits including: brush twice daily, floss one a day, eat a healthy diet, and keep an eye out for signs of gingivitis
- Incorporate mouthwash into your daily routine
Taking care of your gums will help your health in the long run and Sealy Dental is here to help. Call 979-885-4856 today to make your preventative gum disease appointment and keep your gums happy!